Col. Nelson E. Perron is Commander of the 157th Operations Group, 157th Air Refueling Wing, Pease Air National Guard Base, New Hampshire. The 15th Operations Group is comprised of three squadrons, 157th Operations Support Squadron, 133rd Air Refueling Squadron, and the 260th Air Traffic Control Squadron. The Operations Group performs air refueling, airlift and aeromedical evacuation mission supporting U.S. and coalition contingency operation and the U.S. Strategic Command’s strategic deterrence mission. The 260th provides air traffic control at Pease Air National Guard Base and supports worldwide combat operations.
The colonel began his Air Force career as an enlisted Communications Telecommunications Specialist in December 1993 in the Vermont Air National Guard. He later received his commission from the Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn. in September 2000 where he earned the distinction of “Distinguished Graduate”. He graduated from Undergraduate Pilot Training in February 2002. Col. Perron then completed KC-135R training at Altus AFB, Oklahoma, where he graduated as a distinguished graduate. After returning to the 157 ARW, he spent over two years voluntarily mobilized in support of Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
During his career, Col. Perron has served in numerous roles, including KC-135R instructor and evaluator pilot, Wing Plans Officer, Chief Pilot, Chief of the Northeast Tanker Task Force, Chief of Standards and Evaluations, Squadron Director of Operations, the 506th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron Commander, and the Commander of the 157th Operations Support Squadron. Prior to his current postion, the colonel was the Deputy Commander of the 157th Mission Support Group, Pease ANGB, N.H.
1998 Bachelor of Arts, History, University of Vermont, Burlington
2008 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondance
2011 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondance
2019 Air War College, Correspondence, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. December 1993 – September 2000, Communications Telecommunications Specialist, 158th Fighter Wing, Vermont Air National Guard Base, Vt.
2. January 2001 – Feb 2002, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. May 2002 – September 2002, KC-135 Initial Qualification Course, Altus AFB, Ok.
4. September 2002 – August 2004, KC-135 Pilot, 133rd Air Refueling Squadron, Pease ANGB, N.H.
5. September 2004 – Jul 2009, Wing Plans Officer, 157th Air Refueling Wing, Pease ANGB, N.H.
6. August 2009 – June 2012, Chief Pilot, 133rd ARS, Pease ANGB, N.H.
7. Jul 2012 – September 2013, Detail Planner, Northeast Tanker Task Force, Pease ANGB, N.H.
8. September 2013 – December 2015, Chief Northeast Tanker Task Force, Pease ANGB, N.H.
9. December 2015 – December 2016, Standards and Evaluation, 157th ARW, Pease ANGB, N.H.
10. December 2016 – March 2018, Director of Operations, 133rd ARS, Pease ANGB, N.H.
11. March 2018 – March 2019, Commander, 157th Operations Support Squadron, Pease ANGB, N.H.
12. March 2019 – August 2020, Deputy Commander, 157th Mission Support Group, Pease ANGB, N.H.
13. August 2020 – Present, Commander, 157th Operations Group, Pease ANGB, N.H.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: Over 3,000
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-1, KC-135R/T, KC-46A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device and seven oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze star device
Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze star device
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Sept. 5, 2000
First Lieutenant Sept. 5, 2002
Captain Nov. 2, 2004
Major Dec. 15, 2009
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 21, 2015
Colonel Sept. 30, 2020
(Current as of November 2020)