Col. Nelson E. Perron is the Commander of the 157th Air Refueling Wing, Pease Air National Guard Base, New Hampshire. The federal mission of the 157th ARW is to provide rapid global mobility airpower and deploy expeditionary forces in support of worldwide combat, contingency and humanitarian requirements. The state mission of the 157th ARW is to support the Governor of New Hampshire in disaster or domestic emergency response situations. The wing operates twelve KC-46A aircraft performing air refueling, airlift and aero-medical evacuation missions supporting U.S. and coalition contingency operations and the U.S. Strategic Command's strategic deterrence mission.
The colonel began his Air Force career as an enlisted Communications Telecommunications Specialist in December 1993 in the Vermont Air National Guard. He later received his commission from the Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tennessee, in September 2000 where he earned the distinction of “Distinguished Graduate”. He graduated from Undergraduate Pilot Training in February 2002. Col. Perron then completed KC-135R training at Altus AFB, Oklahoma, where he graduated as a distinguished graduate. After returning to the 157 ARW, he spent over two years voluntarily mobilized in support of Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
During his career, Col. Perron has served in numerous roles, including KC-135R instructor and evaluator pilot, wing plans officer, chief pilot, chief of the Northeast Tanker Task Force, chief of Standards and Evaluations, squadron director of operations, the 506th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron Commander, commander of the 157th Operations Support Squadron, and the deputy commander of the 157th Mission Support Group. In his most recent role, Col. Perron served as the commander of the 157th Operations Group.
1998 Bachelor of Arts, History, University of Vermont, Burlington
2008 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2011 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2019 Air War College, Correspondence, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. December 1993 – September 2000, Communications Telecommunications Specialist, 158th Fighter Wing, Vermont Air National Guard Base, Vt.
2. January 2001 – Feb 2002, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. May 2002 – September 2002, KC-135 Initial Qualification Course, Altus AFB, Ok.
4. September 2002 – August 2004, KC-135 Pilot, 133rd Air Refueling Squadron, Pease ANGB, N.H.
5. September 2004 – Jul 2009, Wing Plans Officer, 157th Air Refueling Wing, Pease ANGB, N.H.
6. August 2009 – June 2012, Chief Pilot, 133rd ARS, Pease ANGB, N.H.
7. Jul 2012 – September 2013, Detail Planner, Northeast Tanker Task Force, Pease ANGB, N.H.
8. September 2013 – December 2015, Chief Northeast Tanker Task Force, Pease ANGB, N.H.
9. December 2015 – December 2016, Standards and Evaluation, 157th ARW, Pease ANGB, N.H.
10. December 2016 – March 2018, Director of Operations, 133rd ARS, Pease ANGB, N.H.
11. March 2018 – March 2019, Commander, 157th Operations Support Squadron, Pease ANGB, N.H.
12. March 2019 – August 2020, Deputy Commander, 157th Mission Support Group, Pease ANGB, N.H.
13. August 2020 – June 2022, Commander, 157th Operations Group, Pease ANGB, N.H.
14. June 2022 - Present, Commander, 157th Air Refueling Wing, Pease ANGB, N.H.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: Over 3,000
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-1, KC-135R/T, KC-46A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device and seven oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze star device
Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze star device
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Sept. 5, 2000
First Lieutenant Sept. 5, 2002
Captain Nov. 2, 2004
Major Dec. 15, 2009
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 21, 2015
Colonel Sept. 30, 2020
(Current as of June 2022)