Col. Todd E. Swass is the vice commander, 157th Air Refueling Wing, Pease Air National Guard Base, New Hampshire. He assists the commander in directing the combined efforts of all operations and support activities associated with the Wing’s worldwide air refueling, air mobility and combat support missions, as well as domestic operations in support of civil authorities. He is responsible for ensuring the readiness and wellbeing of the Wing’s assigned military and civilian personnel, and their families.
The colonel was commissioned in 1993 upon graduation from the University of New Hampshire, where he was designated a Distinguished Graduate of Air Force ROTC. After completing the U.S. Air Force Aircraft Maintenance and Munitions Officer Course, where he was also designated a Distinguished Graduate, the colonel spent most of his career as an air mobility aircraft maintenance officer with a mix of Active Duty Air Force, Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard experience. The colonel has held positions of significant leadership throughout his career and has achieved master maintenance officer designation. He has commanded four times and has served as a deputy group commander in both maintenance and mission support groups.
Col. Swass has deployed multiple times throughout his career. He has worked nationally as a member of the ANG Maintenance Council and as a team lead for ANG-wide aircraft maintenance compliance inspections. Additionally, he has served as the Executive Officer to The Adjutant General and has performed duty as an Aide-de-Camp for two Governors. Colonel Swass is qualified to serve as a Dual Status Commander. Prior to his current position, the colonel was the Director of both the New Hampshire National Guard’s Joint Force Headquarters Air and Joint Staffs, Concord, N.H.
1993 Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, University of New Hampshire, Durham
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2009 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2016 United States Northern Command Dual Status Commander Orientation Course
2017 Master of Science, Leadership, Granite State College, Concord, N.H.
1. May 1994 - June 1997, Flight Commander, 60th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
2. June 1997 - June 1999, Flight Commander, 92d Aircraft Generation Squadron, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
3. June 1999 - March 2001, Maintenance Supervisor, 157th Logistics Group, Pease Air National Guard Base, N.H.
4. March 2001 - December 2001, Commander, 932d Maintenance Squadron, Scott AFB, Ill.
5. December 2001 - Jun 2002, Maintenance Supervisor, 157th Logistics Group, Pease ANGB, N.H.
6. June 2002 - November 2003, Commander, 157th Maintenance Operations Flight, Pease ANGB, N.H.
7. November 2003 - September 2004, Commander, 157th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Pease ANGB, N.H.
8. September 2004 - January 2010, Commander, 157th Maintenance Squadron, Pease ANGB, N.H.
9. January 2010 - November 2011, Deputy Commander, 157th Maintenance Group, Pease ANGB, N.H.
10. November 2011 - August 2014, Deputy Commander, 157th Mission Support Group, Pease ANGB, N.H.
11. August 2014 - March 2018, Chief of Staff & Director, Joint Staff, Joint Force Headquarters, New Hampshire National Guard, Concord, N.H.
12. August 2014 - September 2019, Director of Staff-Air, JFHQ, New Hampshire Air National Guard, Concord, N.H.
13. October 2019 - Present, Vice Commander, 157th Air Refueling Wing, Pease ANGB, N.H.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with eleven oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
2018 National Guard Association of the United States Meritorious Service Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 22, 1993
First Lieutenant August 30, 1995
Captain August 30, 1997
Major June 13, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel April 10, 2007
Colonel August 20, 2014
(Current as of February 2020)