Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and high-yield Explosive, or CBRNE, Enhanced Response Force Package, or CERFP.
: To provide immediate response capability to the governor including: incident site search capability of damaged buildings, rescuing trapped casualties, providing decontamination, and performing medical triage and initial treatment to stabilize patients for transport to medical facilities.
: The CERFP is comprised of four elements staffed by personnel from already established National Guard units. Elements include: search and extraction, decontamination, medical, and command and control
. The command and control team directs the overall activities of the CERFP, and coordinates with the Joint Task Force-State (JTF-State) and the incident commander. The search and extraction element is assigned to an Army National Guard Engineering Company, the decontamination element is assigned to an Army National Guard Chemical Company, and the medical element is assigned to an Air National Guard Medical Group. Security duties for the incident site and the four CERFP elements are performed by the state National Guard Response Force.
"The successful integration of civilian and military cultures and capabilities has long been one of the strengths of the National Guard." Lt. Gen. Steven Blum, National Guard Bureau chief
: The initial establishment of CERFPs placed at least one in each of the 10 FEMA regions. As of March 2007, there are currently 12 validated CERFPs with five additional units authorized and funded by Congress.
Command and Control Team
· Directs and deploys the overall activity of the CERFP
· Reports to the Joint Task Force-State and the incident commander
Search and Extraction Team
· Conducts casualty search and rescues at incident sites
· Extracts victims
· Lifts and moves debris and heavy items using ropes, chains, wires or cranes
· Uses equipment designed to support the sides of an excavation and prevent cave-ins
· Conducts site selection
· Establishes log-in and log-out procedures
· Conducts clothing removal
· Ambulatory and non-ambulatory decontamination
· Performs medical triage and initial treatment
· Provides emergency medical treatment
· Provides medical transport
· Stages for military and civilian evacuation
· Provides medical support to patient decontamination and search and extraction